Fashion Incubator San Francisco at Macy's Union Square provides six emerging San Francisco-based apparel designers with the resources — including work space, curriculum, and mentoring — to launch their careers in fashion.
Throughout the course of a year, the Designers in Residence (DIR) are required to complete a mandatory core curriculum focused on business development and garment production. Industry expert presenters are drawn from companies and firms such as Levi Strauss, Fleishman-Hillard, Macy's, Bank of America, Cooper White & Cooper and Moss Adams LLP to name just a few. Conducted at both the Incubator location at Macy’s Union Square as well as at off-site locations, these workshops are essential to the FiSF program and attendance is required.
The DIR will be provided with office space, a workshop room with sample production space, a classroom and shared showroom space. In addition, the DIR will receive mentoring with business and fashion industry professionals. There is no charge for classes but the DIR will be charged a nominal fee of $350 per month for rent and overhead plus $50 monthly fee for supplies. The total cost is per month is $400.
The Incubator residency program begins February 24, 2014. The Designers in Residence are expected to complete the full year. After the year, alumni are encouraged to stay connected through various programs and events.
Designer Applicants seeking admission to the Fashion Incubator
San Francisco must:
• Reside in the Bay Area.
• Be 21 years of age or older.
• Either plan to start, or have already started, a fashion business in the City of San Francisco.
• Submit an FiSF application fee of $50.00.
• Commit to the incubator on a full-time basis, utilizing office, workshop and studio space for period of one year.
• Attend the full educational curriculum workshop.
• Participate in all FiSF events that showcase DIR apparel (existing lines and/or lines in development while at FiSF) and/or events that promote the FiSF organization.
• Pay the $350 FiSF rent and $50 for supplies monthly for contracted year term.
• Fund their businesses, including creation, production and marketing of their designs, which could cost approximately $45,000 for 2 collections a year.
Established designers with production/product development for over 2 years and current fashion design students ARE NOT Eligible for this program.
Applications are due no later than Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:00 pm PST.
Applications MUST be submitted to the FiSF review panel electronically.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
SUBJECT: FISF Application First Name Last Name.
Also, The three copies of the application and the $50.00 application fee should be mailed to: Fashion Incubator San Francisco 170 O’Farrell Street 7 East San Francisco, CA 94102.
The application fee may also be paid with PayPal on the FiSF Website.
All applicants selected to continue in the application process are expected to be available January 6th-11th 2014 to participate in a face-to-face interview with the FiSF review panel. Applicants must bring 3 samples of their work for review.
The six chosen designers will be publicly announced February 3, 2014 and will be expected to be involved in FiSF activities and events beginning on Monday, February 24, 2014. Move-In will be on Tuesday, March 4, 2014.